Let's do this thing called "life" together.



Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cue the Contented Sigh

I did something today that I don't get to do very often. In fact, I can't remember the last time I was able to do such a thing.

I made myself a cup of coffee, cozied up on my couch and watched a movie....ALONE! I know crazy, right?! I had planned on watching the movie with my little ones (something else I rarely do during the day) but my son had already seen the movie I wanted to watch and opted to watch the one he picked out upstairs in our landing. The rest followed suit. So, I was left with the life or death question: "do I still watch the movie or clean the house?" I thought to myself, "I'm gonna go for it!" So I did what every mother does from time to time; I raced into the kitchen, made myself a cup of coffee and practically flung myself onto the couch before they could change their minds.

Don't get me wrong, I would have enjoyed watching the movie with my kids a lot. But there is just something special about having a whole 1 1/2 hours to yourself. Granted, it was Toy Story 3....still fun, granted I had a few interruptions from time to time....still fun, granted my floors didn't get swept and mopped today.....STILL FUN!

I think as parents we need to allow ourselves some down time. As a mom of 4 kids, I rarely get a moment to myself...yes, I'm even talking about the bathroom! I know you know what I'm talkin' about! If I don't take some time every once in awhile to breath (sigh), sit (sigh), and relax (double sigh), I could be running on fumes before the last kid gets tucked in on Monday! After my movie I was energized, ready to sweep the whole house...ah who am I kidding? I'm blogging right now! Don't worry, I'll get to the floors and maybe even some laundry too.

I will leave you with a challenge today: do something fun for yourself! Read a chapter in a book you've been meaning to read, take a walk alone, or maybe even cozy up on YOUR couch with a cup of coffee and watch good movie. Ya never know, it could be just the thing you need to finish out your day strong.

Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got a little downtime today!! I totally agree that alone time is needed!! Have a good one, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job! I am so proud of you. Now...how does one accomplish such a thing with a 6 month old who adores his mommy? Any advice?

    ReplyDelete